The Isleta Resort and Casino in Albuquerque, which used to be called a Hard Rock, hosts the Big Poker Championship on Sept. 6-8. The $400 buy-in will get you 50K chips, 45-minute blinds and there will be $20K added to the prize pool. Winner of the event also receives a championship bracelet.
BUFFALO THUNDER: The poker room near Santa Fe anticipates a competitive frenzy this month, starting with the Labor Day (Sept. 2) no-limit hold’em tournament at 2 p.m., with $100 added per table, $40 entry (one re-entry), 3,500 chips and 15-minute levels.
The Summer of Fun Freeroll, for which players earned entry with 40 hours live play from July 14-Aug. 31, will be on Sept. 7 at 2. There will be an Omaha/8 tournament Sept. 15 at 2, with $100 added per table, $100 entry (one re-entry), 5K chips and 20-minute levels. And finally, on Sept. 28, join the Last Saturday of the Month deepstack for $150 (15K chips, 20-minute blinds, 1 p.m.).
INN OF THE MOUNTAIN GODS: Southern New Mexico’s Inn of the Mountain Gods hosts ongoing satellites until Sept. 25 for the third annual Poker Championship. Monday and Wednesday satellites are at noon ($65, 20-minute blinds). Super qualifiers are Sept. 26 and 27 ($550). The $1,100 Poker Championship is Sept. 28-29 (15K chips, $10 add-on gets you 5K more). First place pays $30K and a gold bracelet (valued at $5K).
SANDIA: Sandia Casino hit the poker room’s largest bad-beat jackpot in its history on Aug. 4. Eight players shared $148,180.
NEW POKER ROOM: In Flagstaff, Ariz., Twin Arrows Navajo Casino Resort recently opened with a 12-table poker room.
TALKING STICK: There are a ton of tournaments at the Arena Poker Room in Casino Arizona’s Talking Stick Resort in September. If you’re in the Scottsdale area be sure to play in at least one of these.
• Every day through Sept. 15, there will be Ladies State Championship shootouts ($50, $5 add-on for 500 more).
• Sept. 7, 11:15 a.m.: Big Stack ($330, 10K chips, $15 add-on for 3K more).
• Sept. 14 and 15, 10 a.m.: Ladies State Championship ($400, 12K chips, $15 add-on for 3K more). Day 2 of the event is Sept. 16.
• Sept. 21, 11:15 a.m.: Super Bounty Big Stack ($225, 8,500 chips, $10 add-on for 2,500 more).
• Sept. 28, 11:15 a.m.: End of the Month event ($150, 3,500 chips, $10 add-on for 2,500 more).
— Mary Bradley is Ante Up’s Southwest Ambassador. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.